Redbridge Information, Advice and Support Service (RIASS)
Are you a parent or carer of a child or young person with special educational needs or a disability? If so, RIASS is here for you! RIASS offers free, impartial information, advice and support to parents/carers and young people (0 to 25 years old) with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) living in Redbridge. What help is available and for how long is different for each individual and RIASS tailor services to meet specific needs. This might include face-to-face meetings, contact by telephone, or email.
RIASS can offer information, advice and support on a range of issues including:
- SEND Support available in Redbridge
- The Local Offer
- Local parent support groups
- Other local or national support
- Individual case work and representation
- Preparing for and attending meetings
- Writing letters or reports
- Support in resolving disagreements, mediation and tribunals
- How to access Independent Supporters
- Local policy and practice including personal budgets, transition to adulthood, the law on SEN and Disability, information on health and social care
- Information about existing Special Educational Needs (SEN) statements and the review process
- Support with appeals around Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans
Support during the EHC assessment will be provided by Independent Supports (provided by the charity Kids). They can be contacted on 020 8551 7333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents can make a self-referral via phone or email. Whilst there may be occasions when it is appropriate for a professional to make contact with the service on behalf of a parent or young person, we will only accept these referrals on the full understanding that parental consent has been given. Further information is available on the RIASS Information Leaflet.
RIASS have on-going consultation with both service users and professionals in Redbridge. To share your views on RIASS, complete the short on-line survey that is available.
RIASS can be contacted via RIAS@redbridge.gov.uk, or on 020 8708 8922. The Service has an office at the Redbridge Drama Centre, Churchfields, South Woodford, LONDON, E18 2RB which is open 09:00 to 17:00 weekdays.
As a parent or carer of a child or young person with SEN and/or disabilities, you will be reassured to know that the Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) have agreed a Children with Disabilities (CWD) Protocol with partners and offer Safeguarding Children with Disabilities Training for professionals.