Are you a young person who is struggling with your identify or questioning your sexuality? If you think you may be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) it might really get you down. You might feel very frightened, you may feel very alone because you don’t really know what it means and you’re terrified of what other people might think should you ask some questions.
You are not alone in what’s going on in your head. Many LGBT people feel anxious before they come to terms with who they are. This is not because being LGBT is bad, but because LGBT people may be seen as the butt of jokes or talked about in a negative way at school, outside, in social groups, or even at home. But remember even many ‘straight’ people get joked about or talked about negatively for all sorts of reasons. It doesn’t make any of it right. Most of the time though people get carried anyway and don’t actually mean to be cruel. It really helps if you can talk to someone and get some support from someone that understands.
Below are links to organisations and guidance specifically for young people – whether you know you are LGBT, think you are or just don’t know!
- ELOP – holistic lesbian and gay centre offering social, emotional and support services Tel: 020 8509 3898 or e-mail email@example.com
- LGBT Foundation E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0345 3303030 (10:00 to 22:00). The Foundation also offers telephone counselling – email email@example.com
- Redbridge Rainbow Community Make contact using the on-line Contact Form
- Stonewall Youth Tel: 020 7593 1850 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Terrence Higgins Trust – LGBT Youth Groups Tel: 0808 802 1221 (10:00 to 20:00, Monday – Friday) to find out where your nearest group is.
- Childline Tel: 0800 1111 – helpline open 27/4. You can also log-in for a 1-2-1 counsellor chat or send an e-mail.
- Terrence Higgins Trust – Young & Free – website resources including information on puberty, sexual organs, sex and you, sexuality and gender, coming out and sexual health testing.
- Stonewall Youth – A Guide to Coming Out
- Young People Friendly – My Sexuality
- Barnardo’s – Real Love Rocks Hub films aimed at primary and secondary school age children and young people on LGBT relationships.
- LGBT Foundation – leaflets and posters offering guidance on a wide range of topics for LGBT young people including Aim High, Coming Out Guide, Sex Education, Where’s Your Head At?, Get In, Faith Book, and Beating About the Bush.