The core objectives of Redbridge LSCB as defined in the Children Act 2004 are:
- To coordinate what is done by each person or body represented on the Board for the purpose of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in the area of the London Borough of Redbridge.
- To ensure the effectiveness of what is done by each such person or body for that purpose.
The objectives will be achieved through the functions carried out by the Redbridge LSCB which are as follows:
- Develop policies and procedures for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including thresholds for intervention, training, safer recruitment, investigation of allegations against staff or volunteers, safety and welfare of children who are privately fostered, and cooperating with neighbouring Boroughs.
- Communicate to persons and bodies in the area of the authority the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, raise awareness of how this can best be done, and encourage them to do so.
- Participate in the planning of services for children in need in the area of the London Borough of Redbridge.
- Undertake reviews of serious cases and advise the authority and their Board partners on lessons to be learned. A serious case is one where (a) abuse or neglect of a child is known or suspected; and (b) either (i) the child has died; or (ii) the child has been seriously harmed and there is cause for concern as to the way in which the authority, their Board partners or other relevant persons have worked together to safeguard the child.
- Collect and analyse information about child deaths with a view to identifying whether a serious case review is needed, any matters of concern affecting the safety and welfare of children in Redbridge, and any wider public health or safety concerns arising from a particular death or pattern of deaths in Redbridge.
- Ensure that there is a co-ordinated response to unexpected child deaths.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of what is done to promote the welfare of children, and advise on ways to improve.
- Publish an annual report on the effectiveness of local arrangements to safeguard and promote the welfare of children.In addition to the above functions, Redbridge LSCB may also engage in any activity that facilitates, or is conducive to, the achievement of its objective.All the functions of Redbridge LSCB are designed to ensure effective local work is undertaken to safeguard and promote the welfare of children in Redbridge. This, in turn, contributes to the LSCB’s overall aim of ensuring the well-being of children.
More detailed information about the role and responsibilities of the Board is detailed in the LSCB Terms of Reference.